Skip to main content

Approaching Someone

You can hear me laugh, neither loud nor hollow. It permeates you. It sounds like icicles breaking off the eaves of a shingled roof. It's not an unusual sound, but you can feel it in the tip of your nose. Like a stale memory or a song you don't quite know all the words to. You find yourself, subconsciously, looking for me.

When you stand next to me, it smells confectionery: baking sweet and herbal. It envelops you. It isn't overwhelming, but you breathe deeper, consuming it. An innate heat radiates from my skin, kissed by jersey and lace. I have a magnetic awareness of you and steadily, the pull brings me closer. When I turn, my hair brushes you, a gossamer disruption of autonomic signals. You see goose-bumps race across the nape of my neck.

When you look in my eyes, you are drowning. It consumes you. The connection is meant for two, just you and me. You are frozen in predation, voluntarily caged in pigmented quicksand. You feel incorporeal, keenly aware of your own reflection. The vacuum of my gaze conflicts with an almost overwhelming synesthesia; we are suspended, poised on the brink of kinetic potential. As a slow smile blooms on my face, it feels like you are standing on the surface of the sun: heated, but blinding. Flares of destructive melting interspersed with addictive warmth. 

You have been rendered mute, every syllable unwieldy on the tongue, every train of thought derailed. It possesses you. Disjointed patterns accumulate behind your breath, uncomposed whispers press against your teeth. There are a thousand things worth saying in this moment, and yet it is the anticipation of silence that enthralls you.

Time is waiting: sanguine lips part for an arrested beat. It encompasses you. Even movement has abandoned you, leaving your chrysalis intact. It is the eclipse of the sun, the cessation fo the rain, and the melting of the icicles whose manifestation you crave as much as you fear. The moment stretches, a tide of insticts, taffy malleable and just as sweet.

"Hi."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Companion

I decided I would post these, which I just found, if for no other reason than to know exactly where I can find them in the future if I need.  My Companion On the day you were born, you were given a heart Your brown-haired, black-eyed teddy bear.  When you stood, it swept the floor behind your feet There was no playmate it could not meet Your brown-haired, black-eyed teddy bear.  You took it to sleep overs, rolled in your bag On long trips in the car, it pillowed your head Whether summer or winter, you were tucked into bed  With your brown-haired, black-eyed teddy bear It suffered through dress up and falls to the floor But the older you got, the more tears it absorbed It witnessed the beginning, forever, and no more  But still of that heart you could always be sure Your brown-haired, black-eyed teddy bear Perhaps, when you're old, and wrinkled, and wise You will look to the love in your little bear's eyes Show it the depth of your grandchild's sighs Hold it tight to

There is a B in both and an N in neither

Let me tell you a joke. A man says to a woman: Do you have a chicken farm? She responds: Um. No. At this point, woman begins to back away slowly. Escape unlikely. His punch line: Because you sure know how to raise a cock! That’s it. The alarm bells sound so loudly in your head that your ears start ringing and small pink dots float about in front of your eyes. It is time to get out. Get out now. You never think about how that man probably spent hours thinking of the perfect delivery, or at least have sat through lunch with that one awkward guy at his office to get that joke. Honestly, what’s a man to do? You (woman) sit there with your blatantly bisexual girlfriends and sixth shot of Grey Goose Vodka confidence and they have to think of something to say. So, they trust each other, begging advice, even from the guy you remember in college who dressed up as a used tampon for halloween. When it hit me, I felt the hairs on my arms stand up. Funny, for all that it reminds me of w

September 8, 2017

Each bite of cake tastes better than the last. It has since you made it for me, since we made it for me. Every bite of cake reminds me of what was lost tonight. What has been found. What decisions are stupid. We are not getting married, but I wrote my vows. I keep asking questions, but you keep telling indifference. I know you are afraid. "The night is dark and full of terrors". Winds howl. Just one release. Just one promise fulfilled. Was history too dark? Did the hue match the future too closely? Why must you chime at 9 am? I think our frolic years are past. Passed. I believe it is a time loop. A no way, not this day, never again frame of mind. I think I can't choose to enjoy, but not on my own either. I can't and I can't and limbo beckons because where else can I find what is so terrifyingly ideal? Except that one bit. The scary part. That hydraulic, compressed part that breaks us for its ambivalence. I don't like that part, it is a loss in every cate