Skip to main content

A story from a different house in a different world

My house is small. It’s a studio in an older building where they have been testing the fire alarms, replacing the roof, and screwing steal grates over our fireplaces because some people are stupid do not fully understand the care and maintenance that goes into functional chimneys. They’ve managed to carefully space out their projects to lull me into complacency before they commence more banging and beeping. I start to feel comfortable in my own house again; I start to leave the deadbolt open. They wait, standing there unassumingly, frozen like little sepia statues whose eyes follow you no matter where stand. It’s a construction thing I guess. And then, a new project begins, or the neighbors get a new dog, and my serenity is ruined.

You know what is not a construction thing? Looking in people’s windows when they are cooking breakfast naked. It’s not like I was making bacon – I wasn’t. I was making muffins. Delicious, home cooked, very-sexy-healthy-housewife muffins. With pumpkin. And flax seed.

I share my house with a man, whom we will heretofore refer to as “the bunny”. I find​​ this hysterical because of certain childhood rhymes which infuriate him to no end, as he was teased in elementary school (*eye roll*). I was teased in elementary school too, you know. All the way through high school - some might even say the teasing lasted until after I was legally allowed to drown my tears in vodka. But I digress.

Anyway, the Bunny is an incredibly extroverted person. This means he’s loud, all the time. All the time. Most of the time, it doesn’t bother me, because it makes us seem like we’re sharing a lot more than normal couples (which we are). I also like that I can narrow down his precise location on the globe, in the dark while wearing a blindfold, just by listening to him laugh. The Bunny is also sweet and cuddly with fine, baby soft hair and ears that taste like chocolate FULL OF MANLINESS. I love him, of course.

That being said, we live in an area where our apartment could fit in some people’s bathrooms. Every day, we must be conscientious of the pet peeves belonging to the other half. And since our space is so limited, I tend to regard it in every way as my bubble. People are only allowed in my bubble upon invitation (usually accompanied by copious amounts of liquor gifts of wine and cheese). Puppies and sunshine and gift baskets; Nothing can pervade my bubble! This makes it especially interesting when the Bunny lowers the blinds slightly to pop his head out into the great world, whereupon he will promptly see his shadow and there will be three more hours of “Deadliest Catch”.

A side note: Do NOT mock the crab fisherman, as they are not only the big-dumb-guys of today, but they are the salt-encrusted-drunks of tomorrow and they tip their benevolent bartenders well. They are also working a job that could kick anyone’s ass, and they do it over and over and over again for hours and days in below freezing temperatures. Respect.

One of my pet peeves is “Abode-sion”, defined as: the process by which the Bunny’s machinations slowly eat away at the exterior of my bubble, usually by utilizing the window coverings to an extent where the distance between the top of the window and the top of the blinds increases exponentially every time he looks outside.

This process is near microscopic, which is why I never notice it.

Finally, we have come full circle, returning to the concept of looking in people’s windows when they are cooking breakfast naked. Now, were I to be placed under oath in a court of law, I couldn’t say it was anyone’s fault. Not with conviction anyway. Unfortunately, it was just a conglomeration of coincidence that day that led to the poor man accidentally glimpsing all of the all of me. You see, I didn’t notice the process of abode-sion happening right before my eyes, nor did I decide to make bacon and therefore use my apron. Nor did anyone realize that I would be standing in the kitchen at the precise moment that man tried to plug his electric blah-blah into the patio outlet outside my window. There was movement, which he tried and succeeded in identifying.

To be fair, it was also not his fault I didn’t realize these things had coincided until I had finished my making-breakfast dance. It was at this juncture that I realized there was a man holding the tail end of an orange extension cord forgotten in his hand staring slack-jawed at the sight of my poor lily-white blossoms (ehem) in the breeze. Needless to say, I hit the floor with all due haste, despite how it was obviously too late.

The moral of the story here is:
If you expect serenity, keep the blinds closed.
If you expect a perfectly manicured yard, cook breakfast naked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Companion

I decided I would post these, which I just found, if for no other reason than to know exactly where I can find them in the future if I need.  My Companion On the day you were born, you were given a heart Your brown-haired, black-eyed teddy bear.  When you stood, it swept the floor behind your feet There was no playmate it could not meet Your brown-haired, black-eyed teddy bear.  You took it to sleep overs, rolled in your bag On long trips in the car, it pillowed your head Whether summer or winter, you were tucked into bed  With your brown-haired, black-eyed teddy bear It suffered through dress up and falls to the floor But the older you got, the more tears it absorbed It witnessed the beginning, forever, and no more  But still of that heart you could always be sure Your brown-haired, black-eyed teddy bear Perhaps, when you're old, and wrinkled, and wise You will look to the love in your little bear's eyes Show it the depth of your grandchild's sighs Hold it tight to

There is a B in both and an N in neither

Let me tell you a joke. A man says to a woman: Do you have a chicken farm? She responds: Um. No. At this point, woman begins to back away slowly. Escape unlikely. His punch line: Because you sure know how to raise a cock! That’s it. The alarm bells sound so loudly in your head that your ears start ringing and small pink dots float about in front of your eyes. It is time to get out. Get out now. You never think about how that man probably spent hours thinking of the perfect delivery, or at least have sat through lunch with that one awkward guy at his office to get that joke. Honestly, what’s a man to do? You (woman) sit there with your blatantly bisexual girlfriends and sixth shot of Grey Goose Vodka confidence and they have to think of something to say. So, they trust each other, begging advice, even from the guy you remember in college who dressed up as a used tampon for halloween. When it hit me, I felt the hairs on my arms stand up. Funny, for all that it reminds me of w

September 8, 2017

Each bite of cake tastes better than the last. It has since you made it for me, since we made it for me. Every bite of cake reminds me of what was lost tonight. What has been found. What decisions are stupid. We are not getting married, but I wrote my vows. I keep asking questions, but you keep telling indifference. I know you are afraid. "The night is dark and full of terrors". Winds howl. Just one release. Just one promise fulfilled. Was history too dark? Did the hue match the future too closely? Why must you chime at 9 am? I think our frolic years are past. Passed. I believe it is a time loop. A no way, not this day, never again frame of mind. I think I can't choose to enjoy, but not on my own either. I can't and I can't and limbo beckons because where else can I find what is so terrifyingly ideal? Except that one bit. The scary part. That hydraulic, compressed part that breaks us for its ambivalence. I don't like that part, it is a loss in every cate